Labels

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Puppies, Pullets and Roosters, oh my!

A brief chicken update, for those who are wondering how my new babies are growing.  They are now three months old ~ wowsa time flies!
RedRoo, Marshmallow and a few of the other girls.

She's a Speckled Winot, I believe.  Very pretty, but she
won't let me near her unless she's sleeping!
On Pullets: They are fun to watch.  We literally sit and watch the chickens peck the ground.  Their social behavior is fascinating.  They come out after the sun starts dipping behind the garage to eat the day's scraps, then eventually start filing into the coop as the sun goes down.

We have a foster chicken now, too ~ we know a family that lost all but one chicken to a predator, it happens unfortunately, and chickens don't do well when lonely.  So Speckles (a different breed than ours, thus the name) has joined our flock for the time being!  She is already laying eggs, but doggone it, she lays them under the coop because that's the coolest place with this heat!  That's what 5 year old sons are for, though ;)


On Roosters: they are just ornery.  He crows throughout the day to let everyone know he's the king of the chicken pen.  He pecks at the hens when the get in his bubble.  He pecked one of my boys today for getting too close to the other chickens.  His days are numbered friends.  We aren't allowed to keep him in town, but he won't go to waste, I assure you!

Beautiful and ornery.
As a wee thing, we knew it was likely a "he"



Yesterday and Today
How time flies!







On Puppies:  They will always be puppies.  Ours is 6 years old and still enjoys games of hunt and scare.  She lays in wait and then runs up on the pen to startle the chickens.  However, she wouldn't hurt them; she's followed us in on occasion and leaves them alone.  She's just having fun!  My garden, though, is not.  I have some irises, flowers and herbs in a garden along the east side of the pen ... which she has just trampled!  I've put up chicken wire to keep the dog out of the flowerbed around the chicken pen which used to be a dog kennel ~ I just love a little irony ;)

A note on the heat: For the chickens, keep the water full and make sure they have shade.  Ours like to hang out under the chicken coop, which is up on cinder blocks and 4x4" wood boards.  They make it through, but you will see them panting.  We keep the windows open on the chicken coop, too.

On Kids:  They love to help, so I make sure to let them whenever I can.  My DS2 adores the chickens, but is also very practical.  He could have totally managed as a farm kid.  We've hit the wall, however, in that they fight over who will do the chicken chores.  I keep telling them, I'm glad they want to help, but if they fight they are not allowed.  Another irony: taking away chores to punish kids.  Too funny ~ enjoy every laugh you can get!



1 comment:

  1. Oh, my...so great! I love hearing about your life and that new little "Speckles" is so cute. Hope he is happy now with company. (or is that one a "she"?)

    ReplyDelete