Labels

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Batches of Patches

Sometimes life is busy and glamorous; something new and productive everyday.  And sometimes life is putzing through the same boring tasks on a regular basis because these practical things must be done.  The last few weeks I've been plugging away at my mending basket.  I do it once a month usually, but March has been so beautiful that I've been outside digging, planting, pruning, etc... while my indoor chores have been sorely neglected.

Something I've discovered in the last few years... you will rarely find boys' jeans or pants 2nd hand for size 5 and up.  Why?  Because those crazy boys are just hard on them!  They play hard, they work hard, they run hard, they crash hard... and then, there are times when they are just plain bored and make a tiny hole suddenly run from knee to hem.

Scene: Sunday morning; DS2 -- "Mom, I don't have any church pants!"  Of course, because last week when I did laundry his pants were hidden under the bed and thus both sets of khakis are dirty.  Enter the mending basket -- always half full, it seems.  Props needed: iron, sewing basket, patches, scissors.  Quick Sunday morning patch job on a clean pair of khakis.  I like to do iron on patches on the inside as long as the hole isn't too big -- tacking the edges down to keep them from coming back off after repeat washings.  So naturally, we move on: Sunday school, church, lunch, small group... on the way to the mommy-van, I notice the other knee.  Hole in the knee... well :-p  Back to the basket they go!



I keep a pretty green basket and my sewing box next to my spot on the couch, so if I find myself watching TV with DSs or DH, I can make better use of my TV time ~ this is also a great guilt-reliever when I do actually watch my shows (usually once every 2 weeks).  When the basket's full, it's time to catch up on my shows or watch a movie ~ my sneaky plan *wink*.

There are a few reasons I patch pants whenever possible.  First, we believe in living frugally.  Our resources are not our own, but rather given in trust to us by our gracious Lord.  We strive to make the most of His provision, and to teach the boys to do the same.  A set of patches (which could do 3-5 pairs of jeans) is $1.77 ... can't even find a pair at goodwill for that price, assuming you could even find any.  If I bought a new pair of pants every time one of my boys went through a knee, or seem, I would have to find a paying job to pay for them all, instead of following this path God has set me along.  Second, it teaches the boys to make due with what they have.  Not everything needs to be new to be useful.  We're green without the political platform.  Third, it's satisfying to know that your work, and the skill you have been taught is truly useful.

Some of my favorite techniques make it a bit more fun... for me and the kids.  Granted I have boys, and there are more cute patches for girls...and of course they don't go through nearly as many knees, another irony of life.
  • If the hole isn't suffering serious gaposis, I patch it from the inside -- after all people pay big bucks for the pre-tattered "cool" jeans.  I just stitch around the edges of the patch with a thread color that matches the denim and the tattered edges are held in place by the iron-on backing




  • Combine multiple patches -- stagger different sizes and colors of denim to cover the whole hole.  This a great way to use up scrap pieces, too.
This one had two blown knees, then the boy ripped open just above the
left knee again.  So, I just whipstitch that line, just above the patch, and it's "part of the look"
  • Cut patches of interesting patterns &/or interesting shapes.  I've done dinosaurs, cars, trucks, leaves.  Nothing beats camo dinosaurs on the knees, or bandana-patterned trains!  Cookie cutters, stencils or freehand all work for this.
The khakis have a camo dino on each knee, the far right jeans have a combo
of both the inside patch, and the multiple patches on the outside,
 makes each pair different and interesting.

  • Use contrasting colors of thread -- I sometimes stitch around the edges of a patch in a different color like a rich brown or bright red -- especially if another patch has that color, or the detail stitching on the pants is in that color.  (Note, I do not always do it this way, because of course it would get boring.) 
Just below the cross-knee tear, there was detailed "tattering" already,
so I used the same color of thread on this tear.
  • A word~ most of these can be done with fabric alone, not the iron on patches.  I find the iron-on makes it a bit easier to manage stitching them in place and if you're in a hurry you can do that part first, and stitch it after it's been worn and washed, at your luxury.  
There are times, something is beyond hope.  I let those go... cutoffs.  The one that was shredded from knee to ankle ~ yeah, I won't make the kid run around in Frankenstein's blue jeans.  I also make sure to have a few pair that are in good condition, no patches, for special occasions or outings.  But in general, for school or play, the patches work well.

There was a point in time DS2 came home and told me a girl at school called his patched jeans stupid because in her family they buy new jeans if something has a hole.  My heart ached for him -- I almost gave up on my frugal pursuit.  Then he continued, "Yeah, I told her she was wrong, Mom.  My patches are special because they are really cool ... and my mom did it for me!"  *Melted Mama*  Thank you Lord for giving me a glimpse of the fruits of my labor!  Even when the world tries to discourage us, there are moments of affirmation that can carry us through!  It does a mama's heart good to know that the the seed doesn't always fall in the rocks and thorns. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment