Labels

Saturday, September 13, 2014

Tomatoes: Salsa, the Gardner's Staple

Why salsa?

So, do you remember when I said I didn't set out to be a gardener...or homesteader...or whatever it is that I am? Yes, friends, it's true. I am no expert but rather a humble newbie learning more day by day. It's been a decade now, and I feel like I'm at a point where I can help and encourage friends (as we all should in some way or another).

Still, it all started with salsa. Let me explain. When we got married on a gorgeous June day, I hitched my wagon to a man raised with gardening. When I moved into his bachelor pad, I adopted a lovely garden of 20'x20'. Tomatoes, peppers, onions...and sweet corn.  You know that whole bit about "where you go, I will go; your people will be my people," etcetera? Ruth was wise (yes she was talking to her mother-in-law, but it is applicable to spouses, too). Still, she was glazing over one other unspoken piece of cleaving to your new family: "Your garden will be my garden."

He had a garden for two reasons: sweet corn and salsa.  He canned it himself, too. Kudos to his mama, because I love that my man is not afraid of the kitchen.

For that first summer, I watched and I learned. I helped when asked. The second year I was part of the planting process and learned even more. Mother-in-law taught me to can. By year three I had ideas and adventure: motivation! I had garnered lots of skills from him and my in-laws...and added them to the green thumb I inherited from my Babi. Voila...I became a dirt therapy loving, garden growing, bean snapping, canning and freezing junkie.

I started planning and researching the best way to use space. I started listing my goals and crossing them off. The garden got bigger each year. Fast forward ten years -- we have 40'x40' garden, outlying berries, a pumpkin patch, salad and herb kitchen garden (8'x7') and edibles on the patio. Oh, and the chickens. All because of salsa.

I love sharing recipes. Not because they are perfect...because I'm not...but because they are a great place to start the adventure! Here is what I have come up with, based on guidelines in the Ball Blue Book.

Mild Garden Salsa

16 c tomatoes (aprx 10-15#),
     blanch off skins, seed them so it's mostly fleshy fruit.
3# sweet/mild peppers
  Ex: 3 large green bell peppers, handful of banana peppers.
1/4# hot peppers (jalapenos...cayennes would work but increase the heat)
1.5# yellow onions
1.5# red onions (use all red onions for more heat/flavor as well)
1/4c lime juice
1-2 bunches fresh cilantro, chopped (about 1/3c each I think)
3 tbsp minced garlic
1 c cider vinegar
Salt to taste

Chop all veggies as coarse or fine as you like. Bring to boil, simmer 10 minutes (do not over cook). Pour into clean hot canning jars, wipe rims, adjust two-piece caps, process in boiling water bath 15 minutes. Let stand for 24 hours before cleaning/moving.

Spunky flavors

Like I said, my husband is a salsa guy. Here are some great favor additions that the husband enjoys (singularly or in combination...but not necessarily all in one batch):
Crushed Pineapple
Corn
Hot sauce
Hot peppers (the more the better, according to him)
Extra lime and cilantro
Smoke flavor

Start with a good base recipe and then you can play with flavors each batch you do. The key is vinegar, salt and/or sugar. Those are your preserving agents. Second key is processing correctly....following the instructions carefully. Flavors can be adjusted, processing cannot.

Cooking with salsa

My mild salsa is one I like for eating plain, topping Mexican dishes, using as a salad dressing, or cooking. Here are some ideas for cooking shortcuts using salsa (canning is my fast food):
Salsa chicken pour a pint of salsa over 1-2 pounds of chicken, cook in crock pot 6 hours on low. Serve with rice or chips.
Easy gumbo simmer salsa and any choice of cooked meats (sausage, sliced brats, chicken, fajita meat, etc -- great way to repurpose leftover meats). Stir in cooked rice. Dash hot sauce to taste, for kick. Get creative by adding extra fresh vegetables.
Spanish rice cook rice, substituting 1 pint of salsa for 2 cups liquid and 1/2 packet taco seasoning. Top with shredded cheese (I like the Mexican blends) and serve.

What do you like to make with your salsa? There are so many possibilities!

There you have it. Salsa. 'Nuf said.

No comments:

Post a Comment